This recipe will supercharge your red cabbage and carrot coleslaw and transform it into a heavenly side dish bursting with flavour. The secret, of course, is in the combination of ingredients.
I never would have thought to add cheese, and when I decided to try, it elevated this dish. If you don’t like cheese, you can omit it without ruining the dish. You can also swap up the cheese for another type.
The Dijon mustard, mayo, coconut sugar and apple cider vinegar make for a zinger dressing. And the apple and carrot give the dish a nice level of sweetness without adding more sugar.
How to Easily Shred Red Cabbage for Coleslaw
To shred a red cabbage for coleslaw, first remove the loose leaves on the exterior of the cabbage until you’re left with just the tightly packed leaves around the head.
Stand the head up on its root end and cut it in half. Use a sharp chef’s knife to remove the stem, then make diagonal cuts around the core.
Place the half head cut side down on your cutting board and start making a series of parallel vertical cuts. Once you’ve cut enough that the base becomes unstable, rotate the remaining uncut portion 90 degrees onto its larger face and continue cutting.
Repeat with the other half head and use a bench scraper to transfer it to a bowl.
Your cabbage is now ready to dress for slaw.
Do you have another method for shredding cabbage for coleslaw? Scroll down and post it in the comments section. And if you make this red cabbage and carrot coleslaw, I’d love to hear about that too.
Red Cabbage & Carrot Coleslaw
- 1 box grater, a mandolin or knife to shred cabbage
- 1 Large bowl
- 3 carrots peeled and grated
- ½ medium red cabbage shredded
- ¼ tsp. coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 apple peeled, cored and grated
- 1 cup 115g cheddar, grated
- salt and pepper
- Coarsely grate the carrots and finely shred the cabbage and transfer into a large bowl.3 carrots, ½ medium red cabbage
- Season with salt, then add the sugar and vinegar and mix everything together.¼ tsp. coconut sugar, 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Leave to stand for 20 minutes.
- Add in the grated apple and cheese.1 apple, 1 cup 115g cheddar, grated
- Then stir in the mustard and mayonnaise mixing well until combined.1 tsp. Dijon mustard, 4 tbsp. mayonnaise
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.salt and pepper
- 191 cal
- 14g fats
- 13g carbs
- 6g protein
- 3g fibre
👩🏻💻 Rate My Recipe
Please scroll to the bottom of this page and rate my recipe. Let me know your thoughts in the comments section. Did you try it? Was it easy to make for you? Did you make any substitutions or changes? I would love to hear about it.
And if you liked it, get more recipes through the buttons below.
7-DAY MEAL PLAN + 15 RECIPES
Check out this 7-day health meal plan and recipe ebook below. Includes nutritional information and a MFP barcode for every recipe. BONUS: workouts included!