This Spanish chickpea stew will warm your belly on cold winter days. It is so easy to make, requiring one pot and 30 minutes of your time. Vegetarian-friendly too!
Here are a few ingredient substitutions you can make for variety or personal preferences:
- instead of chickpeas, use red or white kidney beans
- instead of zucchini, use parsnips
- instead of passata, use tomato puree
Homemade sourdough bread would go well with this stew too.
More Spanish Stew Varieties
If you are a fan of Spanish stew, you should check out this collection of 10 Most Popular Spanish Stews by TasteAtlas.
For another belly-warming meal, check out my Slow Cooker Rump Roast recipe.
Spanish Chickpea Stew
- one large pot
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- ⅔ cup 160 ml vegetable stock
- 1 cup 170g chickpeas
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 cup 240 ml passata or tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Gently cook the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, until softened.1 tbsp. olive oil, 1 onion, 2 cloves garlic
- Add the diced bell pepper and zucchini to the onions, season with salt and pepper and fry for a further 5 minutes.1 bell pepper, 1 zucchini, salt and pepper
- Increase the heat, add the vegetable stock, bring to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes.⅔ cup 160 ml vegetable stock
- Add the chickpeas, oregano and smoked paprika. Stir.1 cup 170g chickpeas, 1 tsp. oregano, 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Finally, add in the passata (or tomato puree), mix and cook for a further 5 minutes.1 cup 240 ml passata
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
- 186 cal
- 5g fats
- 31g carbs
- 8g protein
👩🏻💻 Rate My Recipe
Please scroll to the bottom of this page and rate my recipe. Let me know your thoughts in the comments section. Did you try it? Was it easy to make for you? Did you make any substitutions or changes? I would love to hear about it.
And if you liked it, get more recipes through the buttons below.
FITNESS & WELLNESS FOR WOMEN 40+
Get my support to build a leaner and stronger body. Make it a lifestyle! Check out my GO FIT LIFE Community below, a place where women 40+ use a sensible and sustainable approach to reach goals.