GO RIDE For Ya Life! is a service to help people ride their bike better, for life.
CYCLING WORKSHOPS IN FORT MCMURRAY
As COVID-19 restrictions are being lifted, I’m pumped to now offer a series of cycling workshops in Fort McMurray starting June 4, 2020. These workshops are open to all cycling levels, especially beginners who have very little knowledge about the skills of cycling and cycling training. All topics are interactive and although we may not always be cycling, we will always be moving in some way (ie: drills, strength training, mobility exercises, assessments, etc).
- TOPIC: Intro to Off-Road Cycling
- DATE: Tuesday, June 4, 2020
- TIME: 6 pm – 7:30 pm (90 minutes)
- LOCATION: Ross Hennigar Park, end of Thicket Drive
- LIMITED SPACE: 10 people maximum
Intro to Off-Road Cycling. This workshop will explain the difference between road and off-road riding as well as different types of off-road riding (MTB vs gravel). Seems like a simple topic but different types of riding require a difference skill set, and most importantly, a different bike. I will teach participants the basic fundamentals of how to gear up for off-road. Key points of discussion: bicycle anatomy, basic bike maintenance, terrain variations and conditions, our trail system. Participants should come prepared to ride for at least 30 minutes at an easy level. Required: An off-road bike (mountain, cyclocross or gravel) and bike helmet is required. No open-toe shoes allowed (ie: flip flops, sandals, etc). Please make sure your bike is in good working order before coming to this workshop to reduce the chance of a mechanical during the group ride.
HOW TO PAY
Scroll up, ‘Name Your Price’, checkout! Yes, you absolutely get to decide what you want to pay for the workshop, kinda, as there is a $0.50 minimum set by the payment processing companies. Nothing I can do about that but you can certainly enjoy the program at $0.50 if that’s all you can pay. Just type it into the box and proceed. There are various payment options provided on checkout. NOTE: payment is per workshop, not the entire series.
NOTE: All new customers MUST create an account during checkout. All existing customers MUST log into their account during checkout. This gives you access to your current and past orders, downloads, and so on at anytime. To ensure you get my workshop notifications, please make sure you add my email to your address book: firstname.lastname@example.org
All participants are required to fill out a waiver PRIOR to attending the workshop. This online form will be made available to you in your purchase order sent to your email.
If for any reason I have to cancel a workshop, credit or refund will be given. In case of bad weather, I will reschedule the workshop at a later date. If you are not able to attend the rescheduled workshop, credit or refund will be given.
Due to limited space and selling opportunity, 7-day cancellation notice is required in order to receive a refund. 25% administration fee will apply. Please make sure you can commit to this workshop before signing up. If an unforeseen circumstance occurs, your spot is transferable but this MUST be confirmed with me first. Make sure you read my full Terms and Conditions.
To ensure the safety of my participants, I am following an approach in accordance with public health guidance from Alberta Health.
- All workers, volunteers and patrons will be screened for COVID-19 symptoms.
- I will prohibit entry to any worker, volunteer or patron who is sick or symptomatic.
- All staff will be trained on hygiene in order to prevent the spread of infection.
- All workers, volunteers and patrons will use their own personal equipment for workshops (ie: helmet, water bottles, etc)
- Items should not be shared unless done so by members of the same household.
- All workers, volunteers and patrons will need to carry and use their own hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol content.
- Workshops will be fewer than 50 people and be able to maintain physical distancing.
- All workers, volunteers and patrons should maintain physical distancing of at least 2 metres from others, unless they are from the same household.
- Cover your mouth if you cough or sneeze and then immediately sanitize your hands.
- Handshaking and loitering after workshops will be prohibited.
- All registration and payment can be done via online.
- Public washrooms will not be available.
For the complete list of guidelines, click here.
FUTURE CYCLING WORKSHOPS – TBA
Future workshops below are subject to change but it gives you an idea of what might be coming ahead. Due to the complexity of COVID-19, we will start with one workshop at a time. Please bookmark this page for regular updates. NOTE: payment is per workshop, not the entire series.
- June 11 – Mind Your Center! This workshop will teach you how create awareness of body positioning for better balance and control while riding.
- June 18 – Give Me A Brake! This workshop will teach you how and when to use your brakes, front and rear.
- June 25 – Gear Up! This workshop will teach you how to operate your gears for better flow over terrain.
- TBD – additional topics to cover in future workshops are: corning, ascending, descending, riding singletrack, mindset, building fitness, determining cycling heart rate, training with a power meter, how to structure a workout, injury prevention, nutrition, cycling gear, bike mechanics, building cycling fitness, and so so SO much more!
ABOUT THE COACH
Tammy is a nationally certified multi-sport coach and fitness trainer with 20 years experience in the fitness industry. She first started coaching cyclists as a triathlon coach for the Bridgewater Triathlon Club in 2009. Since then she has become a PMBIA certified a mountain bike instructor and TrainingPeaks accredited coach. Tammy has helped many people learn to ride, tri, and mountain bike. She also started racing bikes as a triathlete in 2006. In 2014 she switched to mountain biking and cyclocross. Her biggest cycling accomplishment to-date is completing the TransRockies Classic 7-day mountain bike stage race in 2019, one of the toughest mountain bike stage races in the world. That’s cray-cray! Tammy is still competing and currently training for TransRockies’ Singletrack 6 event for a second time. Hooked! She believes life is better on a mountain bike. You can follow her personal adventures on Instagram under the handle Bicycle Brat.